Piccadilly
233 North Virginia Street
1946 to 1952
Picadilly
Photo from the Mark Englebretson Collection
Picadilly
Photo from the Mark Englebretson Collection




Mark Englebretson
Grade 3

Louie Eliopoulos
Grade 3

Laurence Miller
Grade 3

John Rauzy
Grade 3

The Picadilly, when it opened on July 2, 1946, was owned by Leon Harbert, Bill Hoover, and George “Mick” Mixson. Mixson owned 70 percent and Harbert and Hoover owned the remaining 30 percent. The Picadilly was at 233 North Virginia Street which was the former site of the Virginia Bar.

The Picadilly was decorated to resemble an English pub, and the back bar was covered with red bricks reminiscent of Old England. Its slogan was “A Bit of Old England, Right Here in Reno” and written in large letters on the wall behind the bar was the following: “Dear Soul from Kindly Goblets Take a Sip, T’will Curb the Pensive Tear-Tis not as Sweet as Women’s Lips, But, ah, Tis More Sincere.”

The Picadilly was famous for its Moscow Mules, a drink made with vodka and tonic water with a sprig of mint and served in copper mugs. Regular customers had their personalized mugs on display and always available on the back bar. During the six years the Picadilly was open, several people owned a percentage of the club. They included the previous mentioned Mixson, Harbert, and Hoover, as well as Ole Glusovich, Emmett Sullivan, Doug Busey, John Hancock, W.M. Leeper, C.W. Hoyt, Bob Armstrong, Jack Douglas, and Joseph McAulay. Another well-known Renoite, Louis Rosasco, was a manager and host in the summer of 1952.

The Picadilly was sold in 1952 to a group headed by Reno realtor John Hickok and was renamed the Nugget. In late 1953 the Nugget was sold to Dick Graves and Jim Kelly. It operated for many years as Jim Kelly’s Nugget. It is currently operating as The Nugget Casino.

According to Dwayne Kling