|Owl Club||142 East Commercial Row|
|March 1931 to January 1, 1938|
Photo from the James Bothwell Collection
|To the best of our knowledge, no casino ashtrays were ever created for the Owl Club. If you happen to know where one exists, please consider sharing a photo of it with the collecting community.|
The Owl Club, owned by Dan Shoemaker, was the first location in Nevada to be granted a gaming license when gaming became legal in 1931. Shoemaker had owned the Owl Club since coming to Reno in 1917, and he had operated poker games there for several years. When gaming became legal in 1931, he added casino games. His first license was for one roulette game, one craps game, one 21 game, one stud poker game, and four slot machines (two nickel, one dime, and one quarter machine).
Dan Shoemaker died in October 1932 at the age of forty-two. The club was taken over for a short time by J.P. Brown and E. Ross, but late in 1933 it was purchased by Alex Nystrom and Joe Beloso. The site is now part of Harrah's Club parking garage.
According to Dwayne Kling