|Monte Carlo Casino||1010 East 6th Street|
|(Inside the Holiday Inn)|
|1975 - ??|
On March 1, 1974, the Holiday Inn on Sixth Street opened its guest rooms. Although the casino was expected to begin operation later the same year, it did not open until March 1975. The casino was licensed to the T.K. Corporation, which consisted of Bob Klaich, John Tillis, Lou Benetti, and Don Eamelli. The 2,125-square-foot casino opened with three 21 games and sixty slot machines.
In April 1976 a major expansion was completed. Two thousand invited guests came to a grand-opening party at 5:30 P.M., with an estimated fifteen hundred more guests at the opening for the general public three hours later.
In a license revision in 1976 the Gaming Commission approved John Hammond, a part-owner of the Holiday Inn, for 70 percent of the casino; Bob Klaich, a native of East Ely, Nevada, and for a number of years the comptroller of Harolds Club, for 15 percent of the casino; and John Tillis, formerly employed at the Riverside, Harolds Club, and Rod's Shy Clown, for 15 percent.
The Monte Carlo was a seperate company from the Holiday Inn. Hammond owned the property and the Holiday Inn, but there was no corporate connection.
In May 1977 Norm Brown was licensed as a shift manager along with William Price. Brown later became casino manager of the Monte Carlo and remained in that position until ownership changed hands in 1994.
Tragedy struck the Monte Carlo in April 1978 when a single-engine plane carrying John Tillis, co-owner and general manager, crashed and Tillis was killed. Tillis, a native of West Virginia, was forty-six years old at the time of his death.
Klaich, Hammond, and Tillis's heirs continued to operate the Monte Carlo until 1994. At that time, Klaich died and Hammond turned the operation of the casino over to a management company.
The Diamond Casino is currently operating at the former site of the Monte Carlo Casino.
According to Dwayne Kling