Mint Club
210 North Virginia Street
1958 - 1960
Mint Club
Photo from the Steve Wells Collection




Richard & Bev Siri
Grade 3

Laurence Miller
Grade 3



The Mint Club Interior

The Mint Club Interior
Photo from the Dwayne Kling Collection

Mint Club Keno Game

Mint Club Keno Game
Photo from the Dwayne Kling Collection

Dick Kolbus Half Owner at Left

Dick Kolbus Half Owner at Left
Photo from the Dwayne Kling Collection

The property was located at 246 Lake Street on the former site of the longtime Reno landmark the Colombo Hotel, although the business operating immediately prior at this address was King’s Café.

In November 1958 the State of Nevada licensed Al Figoni, Elmo Sarboraria, and Norbert Michalski at the Mint for 5 table games and twenty-four slot machines. Figori was the operator of the A-1 Supply Company on Second Street, Mickalski was a former operator of coin machines in Chicago, and Sarboraria was the operator of the Lido Hotel in Reno. They each invested $22,500 and announced they would spend $30,000 remodeling the property.

The property offered various types of entertainment. When the Mint first opened it advertised free jam sessions for all casino employees, especially musicians, several times during the week. In 1959 and 1960 it offered “exotic and seductive” dancers. The club became a late night hang out for casino employees and tourists who ventured away from the established casinos on Virginia Street.

In the Spring of 1960 the business closed, but it reopened in October 1960 as the China Mint. The former location of the Mint is today a parking lot.

According to Dwayne Kling