The Mesa
Mount Rose Highway
July 1948 to June 1959
The Mesa
Photo from the James Campiglia Collection
The Mesa
Photo from the Mark Englebretson Collection




Mark Englebretson
Grade 3

Laurence Miller
Grade 3

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Louie Eliopoulos
Grade 2

Eric Cook
Grade 2

The Mesa was located outside of Reno on the Mt. Rose Highway. They were licensed from July 1948 to June 1959 for slots, 21, and roulette.

The Mesa was actually a fine dining house that people frequented more for dining and dancing than gambling. However, when people in Reno went out for dinner, they often wanted to gamble, and the proprietors of The Mesa were always ready to accommodate them.

One of the owners of The Mesa was Arthur Allen, who was also a hotel manager at the Riverside Hotel for many years. Another owner was Guy Michael, who also owned the Christmas Tree Restaurant.

Over the years the gaming was leased out to various concessionaires, some of whom included Brownie Paretti, Benny Petronzi, and J.J. Coffee Jr.

In 1959 The Mesa was sold to the Crummer Corporation and renamed The Lancer. The Lancer was completely destroyed by fire on August 3, 1971. There are currently no buildings on the site.

According to Dwayne Kling