Holiday Hotel
111 Mill Street
1956 - 1998
Holiday Hotel
Photo from the Mark Englebretson Collection




Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Jim Rauzy
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Chad Nummerdor
Grade 2

Chris Krauss
Grade 2

Chris Krauss
Grade 2

Michael Richter
Grade 2

Mark Englebretson
Grade 2

Louie Eliopoulos
Grade 2

In June 1955 it was announced that construction would begin on the Holiday Hotel. Partners in the operation were Norman Blitz, John Mueller, Marsh Johnson, and the Stanley Dollars, Sr. and Jr. The contractor was Everett Brunzell. The eight-story, two-hundred-room hotel was scheduled to open without gambling, and there was much conjecture at the time as to whether such a large hotel could succeed without gambling. However, on December 12, 1956, five days before the hotel was to be opened, the owners announced that the A-1 Supply Corporation would operate fifty slot machines in the hotel but that there would be no table games.

On December 16, 1956, the hotel held a pre-grand-opening night, and the Holiday officially opened for business on December 17.

The Holiday operated without table games until 1957, when in July it was announced that Newton Crumley, who had operated the Commercial Hotel in Elko for several years before selling out in 1955, would buy the hotel for a reported $5 million. Crumley and his six associates stated that they would put in gambling and take over operation of the property on August 1.

On July 23 the state approved the Crumley group for licensing at the Holiday. They had a two-year lease with an option to buy. Their rent was $21,363 per month. If the group did not purchase the property after two years, the rent was to go up to between $30,000 and $35,000 a month.

In the license application, Crumley stated that they had already invested $600,000. Of the total amount, $200,000 was for remodeling, $100,000 for gambling equipment, and $300,000 for the bankroll.

The Holiday opened with fifty slot machines and seven table games (two craps games, four 21 games, and one roulette game). Fifty more slot machines were added a month later. The licensees were Newt Crumley, 45 percent for $275,000; John Richards, 8 percent for $50,000; Joe McCarthy, 4 percent for $25,000; John Berger, 12 percent for $75,000; Lee Brack, 16 percent for $100,000; L. A. Eldridge, 8 percent for $50,000; William Hawkins, 4 percent for $25,000; and Lee Frankovich, who had been manager of the Riverside Hotel for the last one and a half years, as manager, with no investment.

The Holiday opened on August 1, 1957. What was to have been a one-night public opening turned into an event that lasted for an entire week. The opening was high-lighted by a free buffet, surprise gifts and drawings, and entertainment furnished by six different musical groups. Cash drawings, mink coats, and even a round-the-world trip were some of the inducements offered to entice both locals and tourists to visit the Holiday.

George Hayes was the first casino manager of the Holiday Hotel-Casino, and his three shift managers were John Sanford, Roy Nelson, and Jim Metrovich. Frenchy Dupuoy was the bar manager.

According to Dwayne Kling