|Frisco Club||207 North Center Street|
|May 13, 1951 to November 30, 1952|
|To the best of our knowledge, no casino ashtrays were ever created for the Frisco Club. If you happen to know where one exists, please consider sharing a photo of it with the collecting community.|
In March 1951 the S&K Corporation (doing business as the Bonanza Club) was granted a gaming license by the state. The S&K Corporation's partners were William Sullivan and Dan Kilbride from Bozeman, Montana. In the next few months, Jack Sparkman and N. B. Ellis became stockholders in the corporation. The S&K Corporation took over the Bonanza Club, which had been closed since late 1950. It was licensed for forty slots, one 21 game, one craps game, and one roulette game in April 1951.
The club was closed for a short time, and almost $5,000 was spent remodeling and redecorating the premises. On August 30, 1951, the Frisco Club, "The Golden Gate of Reno," opened with well-known Reno gambler "Back Line Joe" Snyder as manager.
The club had only been open for two weeks when it drew the wrath of the Nevada Gaming Commission. At a hearing attended by Joe Snyder, who stated that he was the manager and a small percentage owner, the Frisco Club was fined $750 for operating four games instead of the three that it was licensed for. The major owners, William Sullivan and Dan Kilbride, did not attend the hearing.
On October 30, 1951, Charles Stebbins and Eliza Tracy were licensed as stockholders of the S&K Corporation and named as operators of the Frisco Club. Joe Snyder was terminated. In the spring of 1952, the Frisco Club opened the Bonanza Room. Paul Dano, formerly of the Palmer House in Chicago and the Riverside Hotel in Reno, was named the chef. The "three friendly bartenders" at the stage bar were well-known local favorites Jim McGowan, Bill Bostwick, and Sam Francovich.
In May 1952 the S&K Corporation filed for reorganization with J. W. Russell as licensee and Eliza Tracy as co-owner. They were licensed for twenty slot machines, one pan game, and two 21 games.
The Frisco Club was closed in November 1952. In February 1953 Harrah's Club purchased the property and reopened it as Harrah's Bingo Parlor. It operated as a bingo parlor until it was destroyed by the Golden Hotel fire in 1962.
The former location of the Frisco Club is now part of Harrah's on the west side of Center Street, between Second Street and Douglas Alley.
According to Dwayne Kling