Big Hat
3501 South Virginia Street
1947 - Apr 1954
Big Hat
Photo from the Mark Englebretson Collection




Richard & Bev Siri
Grade 3

Mark Englebretson
Grade 3

Mark Englebretson
Grade 3

Louie Eliopoulos
Grade 4



The Big Hat was located at 3501 South Virginia Street. It was licensed from August 1947 to April 1954 for Slots, 21, and Roulette.

The Big Hat was actually more a dinner house than a gambling casino. It was one of those places where people went to have a nice dinner and perhaps enjoy a few drinks and a little gambling.

Over the years several people had the gaming concession at the Big Hat. They included K.O. Cunningham in 1948; Joe LaDue and Fred Detore in 1948; Andre Simetys from 1950-1952; Miles Keogh in 1952 and Godfrey Werner in 1953.

The former location of The Big Hat was occupied by the La Vecchia Restaurant as of 1999.

According to Dwayne Kling

Big Hat
Ad from the Pam Goertler Collection